I think one issue is bubbling to the surface here.

In these arguments Won is arguing from the point of view of a single
individual.  His arguments are correct from that perspective.  However
others arguing with him (myself included) are using the same terms but
really seem to be arguing from the perspective of a community.

Can I, personally, verify the findings of CERN?  No, of course not - but I
consider those findings part of "human discovery" not personal discovery.  I
"believe" them, I have "faith" in them, I "trust" them because somebody not
at all unlike myself worked hard to obtain them.  It's human endeavor, human
knowledge that I'm choosing to make my stand with.  At least at some level I
know that I _could_ have done what the scientists at CERN have done.

With religion I'm told there's somebody/something unlike myself that I
should believe, trust and have faith in.  It's not humanity that I choose to
stand with, but this other.  I know that there's no way I could personally
ever do what this other has done.

I'm not completely clear on the distinction, but I'm getting the strong
impression that the heart of this discussion lies someplace in there.

Jim Davis