-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Morris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 1:19 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Bin Laden shows his ugly face

> Spin.

> He said "and you can prove to the world that you did
> it for legitimate reasons"

That sentence clearly places the approval for action before world testament.
We "did it" NOT "we're going to do it (if you approve)".  The Republicans
are painting the statement out of context and intimating Kerry suggested
that the world community have an approval control over our military - he
simply didn't.

A Republican campaign ad said:

"But at the debate, John Kerry said America must pass a 'global test' before
we protect ourselves."

Bush said during a speech:

"One other point I want to make about the debate last night. Senator Kerry
last night said that America has to pass some sort of global test before we
can use American troops to defend ourselves. He wants our national security
decisions subject to the approval of a foreign government."

These are clearly false statements.

You are correct that Kerry did not lay out specifics for what would
constitute "proof".  So how do the Republicans, then, defend the claim above
that in his eyes "protecting ourselves" does NOT constitute proof?  How does
his statement in the debate infer that national security decisions be made
subject to foreign approval?

Nothing in the statement intimates that action would be predicated upon
world approval.

He's saying simply (and quite clearly, I think) that any military action
taken in the modern world should be defensible and that he will not take
military action unless he can defend the decision to do so.

Are you honestly against the doctrine that military action should be
defensible and reasonable?

As to what Kerry would constitute as "legitimate reasons" we have to infer
(since every situation is different it does seem ridiculous to me to
suggestion that there's a checklist of criteria that could be used).

Kerry's stated clearly that he agreed with the actions taken in Afghanistan
and that he'll "hunt down and kill" terrorists.  He's stated clearly that
Saddam was a threat, but not an immediate one.

Those statements, it seems to me, form enough of a framework to at least
roughly predict his criteria.

Jim Davis