-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Morris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 12:01 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Bin Laden shows his ugly face

> I heard what he said clearly. You're trying to spin it
> but it won't work.

How could the statement, in full context, mean what you intimate it means?
How does "where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're
doing what you're doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for
legitimate reasons" imply that world permission is required?

The sentence structure is clear that "your doing" something and that
although you're doing it you "can prove" to others that it's the right
course of action.

However, at the very least, the comment is definitely open to
interpretation.  So, when in doubt, you ask the person that said it: and
Kerry has repeatedly stated clearly that he would not give another country
veto authority over our security.

For the Bush campaign to hear a clarifying explanation and still claim in
speeches and attack ads that a "global test" (with the phrase taken
completely out of context) is the "Kerry Doctrine" is simply disingenuous.

Spinsanity.com said of the issue:

"Clearly, Kerry meant that a President must be able to demonstrate to the
world that the preemptive war is being waged for legitimate reasons, not
that foreign governments must provide 'permission.'"

"In fact, Kerry said the exact opposite at another point in the debate. In
his very first answer of the night, the Democratic candidate said, 'I'll
never give a veto to any country over our security.'"

And later:

"Journalists should debunk this misleading attack, which only distracts from
the substantive issues debated by the candidates."

Both candidates should be allowed the grace to clarify their positions on
issues when they've used language that could be misinterpreted.  I greatly
respect a candidate that is able to accept a clarification from the opponent
and let the matter drop despite the potential political advantage of
misrepresentation... Bush has clearly been unable to do so in this case.

Should we take everything Bush says word for word, despite later
clarifications?  Remember that he said with conviction that "we will NOT
have an all volunteer army" (of course shortly thereafter, at the prompting
of his audience, he clarified his position to be exactly the opposite).

Bush himself has intimated, charmingly, at times that he's not the best
person with the English language.  Perhaps semantics is not an area that the
Bush campaign should be battling on.

Jim Davis