> good point. Yet isn't all use of language a label at some level? I
> mean... I am looking at a screen. It is blue and white. I hope it
> doesn't feel pigeonholed...

Sure. There's another story that when a student of Zen finally reached
enlightenment he burned all his books. I didn't reach enlightenment, I
just gave up my affectation of buddhism.

> But this train of thought leads to the old conundrum: can a person
> conceive of something for which their language does not have a word?

There are some really interesting studies of philosophy and psychology
that deal with language and thought that are right along those lines.

What word in English really captures the German "schadenfreude"?

> Doesn't this little zoan* just warn against seeing what we think we
> are going to see?
>
> Dana
>
> * is this the right word?

Koan.