I completely disagree.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is only one offense in the US that is punishable
by death, murder in the first degree. First degree murder requires
pre-meditation.

Now, you are telling me that someone who has pre-meditated on a murder,
knowing full well that if he's caught, he's spending the rest of his life in
prison, would be more apt to rethink his action if, instead of being in
prison for the rest of their life, they will be in prison for about 15 or 20
years....then be killed quietly?

Anyone who's pre-meiditated, then carried out, a murder, is either:
1) Convinced they won't get caught
2) Irrational at the moment - so called crimes of passion - and not
considering ANY consequences
or
3) Decided that whatever consequences they might face would be worth the
action anyway.

In none of these instances do I see death penalty vs. life in prison
mattering one iota.