> Brian  wrote:
> I think all schools should value diversity in culture...or race. However,
> you argue that it is ok for these schools to "enforce" this diversity
> through its admissions programs.

The problem is that admissions, be it to a school or a company,
usually comes down to a subjective measure (for general positions).

For example, applicants to top schools are usually first screened for
GPA and test scores which may leave you with a group, all with perfect
scores.  Now what?  At some point you have to come up with a signature
for your firm or school.

MIT, for example, does this by saying they value innovation or
"doers".  They want people who'll build and tinker vs. an academic all
star whose achievements are solely in books.  Since they value that a
bit more than academics, they'll take a kid who won robot wars, but
with lower scores, than a kid with higher scores, but no robots.

Why is that any different than race?  Another institution may want
equal part of American blacks, whites, Hispanics, and Asians.   If
their quota of whites is full they start taking the top blacks.  As
long as it's a private institution, who cares?