As we use it - no.

I'm not saying that I'm for or against it, personally, but in the US system
it is a VERY bogged down process.

Imagine two criminals, one from the 1850's and one from now:

"You steal that horse and you'll be hanged by dinner time!"

Or

"You kill that guy and you'll spend two years in prison awaiting trial, 3
years in appeals process before conviction, then another 10 on death row
then get a new trial based on missed DNA evidence."

Just doesn't have the same stopping power.

> The argument i do tend to agree with though, if I may get biblical for a
> second, is "an eye for an eye".

The problem with this is that it's never equal.  The death of a murderer
doesn't equate to the death of a family, for example.

Also, as an atheist, I consider death a boon - it's the end.  Most pro-death
penalty folks want to rush the criminal to Hell for their just deserts.
When you don't believe in Hell you're more likely to support a long, empty,
painful life.

Personally, for the real monsters amongst us, I don't see anything wrong
with a little cruel and unusual punishment.  But I simply don't see a
relatively peaceful death as a very harsh punishment.

Jim Davis