I'm not sure how being wasteful in some areas defends being REALLY wasteful
in another.  ;^)

> Cryo not up to par today? I'll agree ... But I *don't think* we are
> dying today.
> In the next 5 years they could make GIGANTIC steps in the cryo-sphere

If they do then I might consider it - but I won't pay for it until they do.

> Life insurance is for people who have no retirement plan in place.
> If you have a solid retirement foundation in place, investments, IRAs,
> etc ... Then life insurance is not needed.

Umm... not really.  (Perhaps I'm being annoying about this because this is
my line of work.)

In my case life insurance is to take care of my family when I (the sole
income source) am gone.

Life insurance is most often used to cover death expenses (the $10,000
"coffin" policies you see all over the pace) or provide for goals unable to
be met when the income dries up (children's education, paying off the
mortgage, etc).

> It's purpose is if you die suddenly, or if you have no retirement nest
> egg, then your survivors would be able to pay off your debts and bury
> you, and be able to live if they relied on you for their sole support.

Exactly - but life insurance and retirement plans are two different things
entirely.

> If your benificiaries are already taken care of by their own means (this
> applies to any parents which children already working and making a
> living) then insurance policies should only exist to cover death
> expenses and debts.

Or to provide you're children with something you never had.  I'm going to be
in debt for my entire life - my family is poor and I'll get no windfalls.
My children, however, will get over a quarter million dollars each.  If that
happens when they're young it will support them through college and such.
If it happens when they're older it will pay for their homes or my grandkids
colleges.

> Life insurance policies should not be used to make your beneficiaries
> rich.

I see no reason why not.

I'm paying into this account now to pay for specific goals (college, a home,
my wife, etc).  However by the time those goals are outdated I'll have been
paying into that account for 20 years - so why not just keep up the payments
for the rest of the term and give your family a windfall?

> So my bottom linie: I don't believe it's a waste of money. But that's my
> case. YMMV :D

I don't know - I think of all of the other things the living could do with
that money.

Right now the chances for Cryo actually working are just too damn small.
You might as well pay those guys offering to pull you into the future once
time machines are perfected.

If the science were better I might consider it - but right now it's just a
bunch of wishful thinking and hokum - in my pointed, but still humble,
opinion (IMPBSHO?).  ;^)

Jim Davis