I meant for the criminal.  He faces (presumably) life in prison without a
chance for parole (I have to assume this for any crime that would incur the
death penalty).  Killing him ends his misery immediately with no
repercussions (if you don't believe in an afterlife).

Of course this is flippant since American prisons can actually be quite
nice... but still.

> I ask because I have an atheist friend and we were talking about
> cryogenic preservation (it's only about $25k to have your head frozen,
> $100k for your body, and you can link your life insurance to it).

I agree that I wouldn't waste the money on that right now.  The simple fact
is that cryogenics have not been proven to be successful - as it stands the
tissue damage is so great there's very little chance for any meaningful
resurrection.

Even if the tissues could be preserved completely (and nothing we have now
can do that) there's definitely concerns with how long the brain can lie
dormant (no electro-chemical activity) and still be "useful".

So, in short, right now I consider cryogenics to be a complete waste of
money.

However if the question is "would I want to extend my life if I could" I
think the answer would, of course, be "yes".  But still - that's sort of
disingenuous since I'm a 300 pound man that gets only moderate exercise...
I'm not doing all I can right now to extend my life.  ;^)

Jim Davis