"politically and ideologically motivated U.S. Supreme Court"
- is an opinion

"... some say, politically and ideologically motivated U.S. Supreme Court"
- is a fact

Don't selectively quote out of context to try and make a point.

Now, he could have said what you suggest, but that sounds to me more
like mollycoddling a perfectly valid dissent/argument to the outcome
than some semblance of a balanced statement.  By Rather saying what he
did say, he's acknowledging that there is considerable dissent to the
ruling without saying something considerably more inflammatory.  He
could have very well said the "politically and ideologically" bit
without adding the "some say", which would have, I'm sure, given you an
aneurysm at the very least  :)  and /definitely/ would have been an opinion.

How about this (this isn't an actual quote, but I'm making up an example
for argument's sake):

"The Massachusetts Supreme Court today ruled that the state must begin
recognizing same-sex marriages within 3 months time.  The ruling comes
after much deliberation from a sharply divided and, some say,
politically and ideologically motivated court, but most people realize
they were just following the law."

To me, that language sounds like it's telling social conservatives to go
piss up a rope.  Not that I mind that particular sentiment :) but it's
definitely not a fair statement to make, in my opinion.

- Jim