I'd be all for completely seperating the religious ceremony of "marriage"
with the legal granting of a civil union.

I know that in the eyes of the state, a priest has the legal power to grant
a civil union. But I don't know if he was granted that power solely by
virtue of his taking of the Holy Orders, or if he actually had to pass some
other set of criteria as set by the state, similar to a justice of the
peace??? I don't know. If the latter is the case, then I'm ok with just the
one ceremony, because the Justice of the Peace just happens to also be a
priest, rabbi, etc, and the two people have chosen a certain elaborate
ritual as their civil union rite.