Mr Cold Fusion,
It sounds like you would be considered clinically depressed - and no wonder
judging by all the events that have happened to you.   Depression is a
disease which can often be brought on by stress, which you have had a great
deal of.  It is surely what is causing your weight gain, your feelings of
hopelessness and your wanting to crawl into a shell.  However, the good news
is that it is controllable via medication.

If you have insurance then see your doctor and explain your symptoms - the
weight gain, the sadness, the hoplessness and I am sure he will be happy to
prescribe a drug to make you feel better.

If you dont' have insurance look in the phone book for a community mental
health service agency.  They will be happy to evaluate you and will also
prescribe you these drugs.

Once you are on an anti-depressant you will feel much much better and will
be able to get things back on track.  when you are depressed its very hard
to get motivated  - these meds will help you.

So all you need to do is get motivated to get to a doctor, ok?  If you feel
that you cant' do this, please give this email to your wife and ask her for
help.

Keep us posted, and please keep writing if it helps you.

Beth in Alaska.