That is exactly what I am saying. Look at the law. The President only has
direct control over a very limited number of people in any of the
bureaucracies. The appointees can tansfer people they don't like to other
groups, etc., but their power is limited.

And believe me, the people inside differentiate between the President's people
(appointees) and their people (civil servants). Most of these folks are just
regular people, but the culture of the bureaucracies sometimes encourages them
to work against the President, and there isn't a whole lot to be done about it.

Picking good appointees is a big part of success. When insiders talk about Tom
Ridge's failure at Homeland Security and Michael Chertoff's success, what they
are talking about is how Ridge didn't understand how the DC bureaucracies work,
and Chertoff does, and so he has been better at getting them to do what needs
to be done.

As for the CIA, Tenet seems like he was a disaster, but it's hard to tell with
a secret agency. The new head of the CIA, Porter Goss, is a guy that the
President picked specifically to go in and clean house. If you remember, a
number of very senior CIA officials resigned right after he started, and others
were moved to different areas. I believe that Goss' appointment is the final
payback, if you will, in this whole nasty fight between the White House and the
CIA. It's the Persident's way of saying, "Mess with the bull and you get the
horns,", and Porter Goss is the horns.

So the President has done basically everything he can do to reign in the CIA.
How much difference that makes, who knows?