> What? First, I'm not a religious person. I do think there
> is something that
> created things and put things in motion, I think there is
> evolution,
> however, I think there is something that sets humans apart
> from every other
> living thing.

> According to the modern ethics of some Muslims killing \
> people that
> disrespect Mohamed is right.

> To claim my argument invalid because it mentions god is
> also saying our
> declaration of independence are based on an invalid
> argument. It states
> there are Laws of Nature and of Nature's God, and that
> certain rights are
> un-alienable. And that Governments are created by men to
> secure these.

It is invalid as proof of a universal yardstick for the
right/wrong-ness of human behavior. I said "faith / religion" to be
inclusive of the possiblity that you might not adhere to a specific
religion, but the fact that you believe in "something that created
things and put them in motioni" and "something that sets humans apart
from every other living thing" indicates that you do have a personal
faith.

As to the declaration of independance, it's not my declaration. :) It
was the declaration of the representatives of the first 13 states
explaining their agreed upon reasons for seceding Brittish rule, and I
will personally allow some of it's suppositions to be incorrect. :)
While it does speak of God and of inalienable rights at the same time,
there are no laws drafted in it, and if there were and I felt those
laws to be flawed in some way, then I would speak against what I
believe to be their flaws. If I were alive at the time, I don't think
even being an atheist (for the sake of argument) that I would have
objected to the drafters using God in that document, just like I don't
lambast Christians for praying that I'll come back to the fold. It's
silly but I can allow them to be silly. I probably would have
lambasted them for invoking God while drafting laws.

Governments are created by men. So are morals. I think the US is the
first example of those two things being combined isn't it? Anybody
else on the list want to chime in here? I believe all previous
governments came into being through force without ever declaring their
sovereignty. The US drafted its declaration as I understand it because
Brittish Parliament had demanded it. The fact that they claimed that a
government exists to secure rights which are provided by God doesn't
make it so, nor does it change the fact that governments are created
by men or that they created a government. They invoked God while
declaring their moral reasons for secession -- it doesn't make those
morals any more divine.

Just for clarification:

I'm not an atheist.
I am Unitarian.