> In short I really wouldn't surprised if, at the genetic
> level, there's a very fine (and pretty damn malleable)
> line between "straight" and "gay".

There can't be... because some of us aren't straight or gay. :)

The presence of cultures in which bisexuality was a norm in one
fashion or another lead me to believe that there must be a large
amount of aculturation involved in determining sexual orientation.

Now, the fact that some people are simply never aroused by one gender
or the other leads me to believe that it's not unlikely that there may
be some genetic basis for preference. I'm not saying there is (or
isn't) but I don't think it's unlikely.

I suspect more often than not a persons sexual preference / identity
is not dominated by a genetic drive but rather the result of having an
"in-between" genetic predilection which is then aculturated to become
whatever that person's experiences lead them to become. Which would
leave the number of people who simply never think about or get aroused
by one gender or the other as being the minority of common but aberant
cases in a genetic sense. The rest of the homophobic and heterophobic
public then either simply never think about / question their sexual
identity / preference and as a result never have reason to discover
that about themselves, or censor themselves out of anyone else knowing

I've known several bisexual people actually who fall into that
category, both in the straight and gay communities, who censor
themeselves in public so they can insinuate themselves into either of
the polarized main-stream cultures, because neither of them are really
accepting enough of people's personal sexual preferences.

I've read several articles from bisexual men in particular talking
about how they can't express their interest in women without being
ridiculed by their peers. I know the women in the "pink mafia" tend to
be very similar. One lesbian couple in Florida stopped talking to Tiff
after expressing an interest in developing a relationship with her
because she _suggested_ that they _meet_ (not fuck) me for 5 minutes
at a coffee shop since I'm her transportation. They told her she
obviously didn't understand women's issues and subsequently stopped
answering any of her emails.

That kind of social pressure doesn't come cheap. :) Even more so than
gay people, bisexual people are nearly forced to hide their real
identity because while being gay is starting to become accepted in our
culture, being bisexual is still perceived in the main-stream even by
the gay community as being a horrid, evil aberation. Given that, and
given that I know of so many examples of people who do fall into that
category (plus Kinsey's studdies) I have to think that I've known
probably many other people who are either "curious" and never work up
the nerve to explore, or who are simply never close or comfortable
enough with me personally to share those censored thoughts with me.

So ... I really think that the whole gay vs. straight thing is likely
to be an enforced polarization brought on by social pressures (gay
people because it's been so hard to become accepted in our culture,
straight people because of the reasons that lead gay people to be that
way), and in truth for most people to be much more middle-of-the-road
as with for example the liberal vs. conservative polarization.

Maybe I should stop referring to myself as bisexual and use the term
"moderate". :)

I'm also under the impression that it's a lot easier to be openly
bisexual in some other countries, England as an example, and I have
one english friend who I know to be bisexual although he's been in a
monogamous relationship for a number of years, who's told me he would
tend to agree.

s. isaac dealey     434.293.6201
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with