> Dana wrote:
> what has it done for me or anyone else lately?

Have you purchased anything in the last 10 years?  If so then you
benefited greatly from globalization.  Bought a house?  Then you
benefited more.  Have a job or a business?  Then you benefited.

Globalization is no different than a small town choosing to shut
itself off from world and only do business with people in a 10 mile
radius.  Supply would drop, prices would skyrocket.  And for those
that didn't couldn't produce in-demand goods, there'd be no jobs.

By opening up that small town to trade with other towns you expand job
options, increase competition, and thus lower prices.  Those that work
in the new market, however, have a whole new set of people to compete
with and they have to adapt accordingly.

With Globalization, if you realize that and prepare for it, you're not
doing it blindly.  If you isolate yourself, however, you'll be
trampled underfoot by those looking to buy Charmin for as cheap as
possible.

SIDE NOTE: I recently had this discussion with some who, after telling
me the perils of Globalization, drove away in her Prius.  Ahhhh...