I understand the Reconstruction argument, but I'm not sure how apt it is.
Don't you think we could "forgive" the extremists tomorrow, and they'd
continue killing Iraqi civilians anyway? They aren't after our forgiveness,
and they aren't even targetting us anymore.

How would you suggest convincing extremists to quit killing innocent
Iraqi's? They've launched a terrorist campaign aimed at their own country
with the intent of starting a civil war.

It seems to me the answer is either:
1) Capture and kill ALL of these extremists (probably impossible) or
2) Convince them that their present course is NOT in their best interest

I think 2 is the only viable option, but it is not an easy one...and i'm not
sure how you go about doing it, frankly.