Not only that, what about those of us who didn't get married in a church
by a church official?

Which brings the whole deal full circle, at least for me.  Marriage is
somewhat defined as a legal contract, or at least it seems, since all
these states have legislation regarding marriage, so what exactly does
the church have to do with it?  Why do they get a say in the matter?
I'm confused as to why it (Gay marriage) is an issue.  Using the
church's services to get married is only one way to go about it, and in
the end it's a simple legal contract that has little to do with religion.

I think.