From: BethF [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 12:29 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: UDF parameters and Scope and muffins!

Comments inline:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Braver, Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Community" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 7:40 AM

> Stephenie-
>
> not to start a controversial new thread (diet), but this is *NOT* a
"healthy
> living choice".

What exactly isnt' healthy about it?

> any nutrition program which entirely cuts out a "something" from our diet
is
> not "healthy".

Well, in this case one is cutting alot of sugars and other carbs from our
diet.  What exactly is it in these carbs that is so needed ?  Before someone
says that one needs carbs for energy, the theory is that one can also burn
fat for energy.

> My wife and I did some research on the Atkins no-carb diet the last time
it
> became a fad. It throws your body into ketosis, not good.

What is bad about ketosis?    Ketoacidosis IS bad, but ketosis is a
condition that indicates the presence of ketones in the body - it means that
there is either dietary fat or body fat being used as fuel.  IT is not a
harmful situation.

I dont' care for Atkins who implies low carbing is a magic pill, but protein
power is a great book.

> Something people (including me) just don't like to hear, is there's no
> "magic formula" for painless dieting, just lower calorie intake, and
higher
> calorie expenditure (i.e., exercise).

Now, this i TOTALLY agree with.  the advantage a low-carb diet gives one
isnt' a magic pill.  For folks who are insulin resistant the low carb diet
prevents insulin spikes, preventing hunger  and helping one feel full
longer. One also maintains a higher degree of muscle mass on a high protein
diet therefore keeping the metabolism higher.  And finally there is evidence
that ones caloric threshold for weight loss is higher on a higher fat diet.

Cholesterol CAN be a problem for some individuals however it usually goes
away with weight loss.

> Before cutting complex carbs, I would investigate cutting back on fat in
the
> diet, substituting more servings of fruits and vegetables - which also
> benefits from more fiber, and may reduce the risk of cancers.

One can take fiber supplements for this.  But green vegetables are a good
thing to eat, even on a low carb diet.

> Re: bread - substituting whole grain breads for processed breads is a good
> alternative.

I lost 70 pounds low carbing, and while I stopped due to it interfering with
long distance biking (and I gained 15 pounds in the interim...) I hate to
see folks misled by the low fat media who claims the diet is unhealthy.  One
doesn't need bread, pasta, rice and potatoes to live a  happy healthy life.
I learned from my low carbing that rice is a problem food for me - I can't
eat a half cup of it, I have to eat 3 cups and that I am also better off
eating no sugar, except the occasional fruit.

It is NOT a cure all, nor does it work for everyone, but it does work
wonderfully for some people. Just as low fat works wonderfully for some
people.

but dont' bother with the atkins book - protien power is far more
comprehensive and scientific!!!