From: Sandy Clark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 9:22 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: UDF parameters and Scope and muffins!

Sorry to disturb your thinking Ben,

I also did some diet research over the last few years after finding out that
I am on a fast track to diabetes.  In my research I did discover that the
low carb way of life (not diet) is actually the best one for me.  I've been
on it for 2 years now.  Lost 40 pounds, my blood sugars are on the low to
mid side of normal (other than on the high side) and my cholesterol level is
consistently on the low to normal side.

The ketosis you are talking about is called Benign Dietary Ketosis and is
not the type of Ketosis associated with high levels of blood glucose in
Diabetes.  All it means is that your body is burning fat.  Carbohydrates
(which all turn into glucose, which is a sugar) are much easier for your
body to burn than fat.  So given the choice, your body will burn carbs (if
you put carbs in, your body will burn them as energy and store any excess
away as fat.)  When you don't give your body carbs, it is forced to go to
your fat to burn after burning whatever you have eaten, hence the ketones.
(also bad breath, but that is a known side effect).

I tried the diet the hospital gave me.  Which was high in Carbohydrates and
low in fat.  Not only was I starving and miserable, but my blood sugars
never went down.  I tried another diet which claimed to be healthful for
diabetes, which was high in carbohydrates, and low in fat.  (Julian
Whitakers Reversing diabetes).  After 2 days on this diet, my blood sugars
shot up more than 40 points!  I was exercising regularly at this point as
well, hiking 1 to 2 days a week and going to the gym regularly.

I then turned to trying Low Carb.  I read Atkins, I read Protein Power
(Eades), I read Dr. Bernstein's books.  I decided to go on the Atkins plan
since it was easier to work with.  Within 2 days, my blood sugars had
dropped 10-15 points from where they normally were. Within 2 months, I was
losing 5 pounds a month.  Within 2 weeks, I was more alert.

I am now on a maintenance diet. Occassionally I will have some grains or
alcohol. I have kept the weight off for a year now.  I am still in a size
10.  This is a lifetime commitment for me and I will never give it up.  If I
can manage to stave off diabetes and live a normal life style, why screw
with success???

What's my average daily diet?  Well this morning I had plain whole milk
yogurt (brown cow cream on top - yummy) sprinkled with Splenda and
cinnammon.  Good earth herbal tea and my vitamins (which includes potassium,
magnesium and psyllium husks for fiber).  For lunch I will probably have a
salad with tuna and cheese.  For dinner, I am going out with a friend, so I
will probably splurge on a drink along with chicken or steak (hold the
potatoes, bring on the extra veggies!)  I don't feel deprived, I don't want
the potatoes anymore.  Note, no processed foods (unless you count yogurt as
a processed food), no sugars.  The fat in my diet fills me up, satisfies me
so that I dont feel deprived (well depraved, but that's another story and
has NOTHING to do with the way I eat <grin>) and keeps me looking and more
importantly feeling good.

A few things that helped me for anyone contemplating doing this.  First
READ, read as much as you can.  I found a usenet newsgroup that really
helped.  alt.diets.locarb.support (I believe).  I also found a ton of web
sites that have sugar free and low carb food that helped me out entirely.

Some of the sites I still frequent, and order from are:

        Low Carb Luxury (www.lowcarbluxury.com) - Reviews of new food
products and
links to lots of great low carb stores.
        Synergy Diet (www.synergydiet.com) - Tons of foods, baked goods that