>OK, but how? We need to heat our homes and power our lights. We may be
>the worst contributor, but until we have a better way to do these things
>that doesn't break the bank, we are going to be in the same situation.

Ours is one of the richest nations in the world, and you're going to use the
excuse that it's too expensive to do anything?? How about actually *buying*
more efficient cars...rather than SUVs and Hummers? Cars than are actually less
expensive too. How about car pooling or using public transportation? Another
big money saver that would hugely reduce the greenhouse emissions if even half
of commuters did it. How about passing laws that require our industries to be
more fuel efficent...particularly the car industry which is quite capable of
making more efficient cars (as they do in other nations where the laws require
it). How about turing the heat *down* a few degrees, saving both energy bills
as well as fossil fuels?

The problem is that we are in general apathetic to the issues when they
inconvenience us. It's not that we *can't* make a big difference in the amount
of greenhouse emissions, it's that we don't bother too.

You want some ideas, just do a search on something like "global warming what
can we do" and you'll find dozens of sites with information about how much we
*can* do rather than just stick our heads in the sand and say, oh well, we need
to use fossil fuels regardless so why bother ove how *much* we use them.

>We can't tell people they can't have kids, or start limiting the
>children people have, that is simply not something this country can do.

Huh?? The global overpopulation issue has little to do with people *wanting* to
have kids. Generally the birth rate in industrial nations (such as ours) has
decreased and the population for the most part (not counting immigration)
remains steady. It's in third world countries it is steadily climbing. There is
certainly much on this issue you can find through google as well.

--- Mary Jo