I disagree.  To take the Book of Genesis as a literal history of the world is
as bad as believing that Jesus was of western european descent as some believe
(c.f. the Glastonbury Abbey mythos).  A literal translation of all of the bible
has been used to justify most of the human atrocities over the past 2500 years
(the Crusades, slavery, The Holocaust, etc).  The Bible is a mixture of history
and allegory used to guide us spritually.  To reject the allegory and treat it
as literal is to reject much of what Jesus taught.  He primarily used parables,
an allegorical method, as his primary teaching style.