You seem to equate my statement with unified opposition. That isn't what I
mean. Governments are people. Media are people. Corporations are people.
Some of them will agree, some of them will disagree. In the Desert Rock
case, it looks like the people involved have by and large judged that the
benefits outweigh the risks. Some people (like Barbara Boxer, one of my
Senators) are speaking out in opposition. That doesn't mean that everyone in
government everywhere is uniformly opposed to the plan.

As for the plan itself, I haven't studied IGCC technology in detail, but I
am very familiar with pulverized coal (PC) technology. Ten or fifteen years
ago, PC was considered advanced production worthy technology, with
fluidized-bed coal technology being the means of burning the fuel. Companies
were pursuing pressurized fluidized-bed technology, and it looks like PFB
has become a decent option for building new plants.

http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/powersystems/combustion/fluidizedbed_overview.html

It also looks like IGCC is the newest attempt to conquer the challenge of
retrofitting old plants. By the way, don't think that utility companies
aren't interested in advanced technology. They are extremely interested.
Just google IGCC technology and you'll se AEP, Duke Power, and GE among
others interested in commercializing the technology.

http://www.aep.com/about/igcc/technology.htm

That doesn't mean everyone agrees, though.

--
Robert Munn