>PhotoShop performance really ends up as a wash in my experience.

I'm not really even talking just about PS performance. I know it's a memory hog
and that my system is a little older and I'm not expecting it to scream
along...but with 1 gig it shouldn't have to be the only program running just
for basic stuff. And I've just become frustrated with crappy Windows
performance in general. I mean, even if I'm doing very little, I often have to
wait for my start menu items to come up. Over the course of an entire day, that
kind of thing just becomes really annoying. I'm constantly having to clear
stuff up do if I delete files I don't have to twiddle my thumbs waiting for
things. And anytime I install something new I cross my fingers that the whole
system isn't going to crash. I do everything I'm supposed to do to keep Windows
running smoothly...but running smoothly just doesn't seem to be something it
will do.

I guess I'm just frustrated a bit at my options too. If I stick with Windows, I
can try to stay with XP and its limitations on memory...or go to Vista and deal
with the incompatibility issues....trying to run CFMX 6 for one. I'd most
likely have to use my current system as a separate local server in order to do
the types of things I need to do...and I simply don't have the space for that.

I know I can run Windows applications in Parallels...but that doesn't always
work perfectly for my needs. For instance, one of the things I do a lot of in
Photoshop is digital scrapbooking. I usually want another application for
digital file management (like ACDSee) running so I can find images and send
them to Photoshop. If I'm running Photoshop on the Mac side, and ACDSee on the
Windows side, that's not going to be possible and will severely effect my
workflow. I've been looking to see if there's a decent program for Macs that
can handle my needs, but picking are pretty slim. And unfortunately it's not
easy to evaluate Mac-based software like Apeture if you don't actually have a
Mac yet!

--- Mary Jo