I've just become frustrated with crappy Windows performance in general.

I don't know how you have your system configured Mary Jo, but I was
suffering similarly with my Win XP Pro box at home.  On mine, I have two
hard drives with several partitions on my system.

I noticed my OS (C:) drive had a relatively small percentage of free
space left.  I spent considerable time (I'm still re-installing lesser
used applications) cleaning up the C drive, removing most of the
programs that had installed to the windows "My Documents" folder, moved
all my e-mail, ect.  I reconfigured and reinstalled as much as I could
so that my other drives are used for all data and applications and the
C: drive is left solely for the OS.

I have noticed a considerable improvement in my system's performance and
stability since doing this.

I'm also not rushing to Vista yet.  My wife get a Vista laptop and it
sure is slow.  This thread has taught me that I can apparently use the
Vista license with an XP installation, so I well give that option some
thought.