Well, we've talked about this before but you didn't want to move then.
So. Advantages of New Mexico:

Weather --Something like 350 sunny days a year.
Nature -- Fast access to national forests and actual wilderness within
a few hours.
Housing costs -- Much lower than DC in Albuquerque; comparable in Santa Fe.
Art -- Santa Fe is one of the top at destinations in the US
Films -- Albuquerque is a location for a lot of new movies. You can
see Jessica Simpson on your way to work in the morning.

Disadvantages:
Most IT positions require a clearance; not a problem for you though
Public schools -- least said the better