I say pistols are backups if it comes to that.

I personally like the three gun philosophy.  A rifle (personally prefer an
M-4 style, after that I like HK, Aks, so many good rifles on the market) a
shotgun (Mossberg 590, don't need any other shot gun), and a pistol, and I
agree on the caliber.  .45 is my round.  I'm currently looking at a
Springfield XD45.  I've wanted one for a while.

If you're going to pull a trigger, do it to kill.

Rubber bullets can and have killed in the past, and I assure you at the
point where most of you will be willing to shoot, they'll kill you if you
don't kill them.

Thing is, don't just buy a firearm and throw it in the closet.  Like
anything in order to be able to use it well you need to practice.  Range
time, draw, load, reload and clear a malfunction exercises, dry fire
exercises.

If you are serious about contingency planning, you also need to think about
where you will go, how you will get there, and what you will do when you get
there.

Honestly I know to most urban people this sounds foolish, but planning like
this was standard for people before we became reliant on electricity and
gas.  Winters and storms could kill you if you weren't ready for it.  It's
no less true today, as recent history has shown us.