oh now if you want nominations in New Mexico I could talk your ear
off. There's stunning countryside pretty much anywhere you care to
leave the interstate.

I remember when I was in Las Vegas one summer I was restless and bored
one morning and decided to see where 7th Street goes. And danged if it
didn't wind through some hills, pass an adobe church painted with the
blessed virgin, then a hot springs and a by-gosh castle before heading
into the mountains and some drop-dead grogeous views off some hairpin
turns, then dead end at a campground parking lot in the Santa Fe
National Forest about 25 miles later.

One thing you learn in New Mexico though is respect for exactly how
far from anywhere you can get. Like Chaco Canyon. You make sure the
gas tank is full and the spare tire has air BEFORE you go.