Here are the major problems with any health care plan.

1. The outrageous profiteering of the insurance industry.
2. The outrageous profiteering of the health care industry
3.  The lobbying of congress by said industries to make sure their
profit machine does not go away.
4.  The level of fraud infesting both  industries when dealing with
the consumer and with government programs.
5. Any proposed program would create a bureaucracy that would cost
more than the health care costs

Until you fix those, any universal health care program will fail.  In
fact, if those problems aren't addressed soon, the existing health
care system is going to collapse under its own weight.

I've spent most of my 30 plus year career writing software and doing
management consulting in the insurance and health care industries.
Both of them are rotten to the core.  Throwing more money at the
problem is never going to fix it.  It will just fatten the sharks.