Neither was born on American soil. While McCain had no choice about his
citizenship, Schwarzenegger chose to become a US citizen. It seems to me that
making an active choice is a better indicator of a commitment than when you
just stumble into it via an accident of birth.

As for second class citizens, well what's the difference between that approach
and the one taken with various minorities in the past?

It would seem to me that citizenship is binary proposition, you either a
citizen or you are not. No secondary or teriary degrees of citizenship.

Anything less opens the door to a variety of problems. For instance someone who
is a member of any unpopular group, based on religion, race or ethnicity, could
be disenfranchised and become a non-person. Its happened in the past in Europe
(i.e., Germany and Russia) and in the US, eg., the internment of citizens of
Japanese decent 66 years ago for instance. Or the treatment of black citizens
for the last 140 years for that matter.