This is true. I obtained Canadian citizenship cards for my children who
were born in the US a while back, just in case they should ever need or want
them. I did the same for their elder step-brother, who was born in France.
This was fortunate in his case as the French do not consider him a citizen,
despite the fact that he had a French passport as a child. I am not entirely
sure what the reasoning is there -- I suspect immigration policy changes. He
is currently living in Belfast as he wants to be an EU citizen and this is
what Britain requires if you apply for citizenship based on a grandparent.

My point is that dual citizenship very much depends on which two countries
we are talking about. I am a dual citizen of Canada and Britain because when
I was born my father was a British citizen (only -- he became a Canadian
later), and neither country seems to have an issue with that. When I become
a US citizen I will have to sign a form saying that I renounce both.

for whatever light that may shed...

Dana