Over the past few months I've been watching through the entire series of
Deep Space Nine... I've just reached the beginning of "The Dominion War" and
I'd forgotten how good this show was.

(If you've never seen it then this won't make any sense.)

I just watched the scene where, after several years of a "cold war" between
The Dominion and the powers of the Alpha Quadrant, a massive Dominion fleet
pours through the wormhole... and promptly heads of to Cardassia as we learn
that Cardassia has decided to join the Dominion.

Maybe I was stupid, but this was one of the few times that something make
complete, logical sense; was absolutely in character for everybody involved;
was (at least in hindsight) clearly predictable and yes still took me
utterly by surprise.  The web of political ramifications, personal grudges
and personalities and painstakingly tailored tension made everything
absolutely believable but still shocking; still a "curve ball".

I mean other shows have had intricate plots but they're often transparent
and predictable ("Babylon 5" was an amazing show, but falls into this
category).  Other shows have created surprise, but often by butchering
character development (having events hinge upon somebody doing something
completely out of character) or straining reason to the breaking point
("Lost" comes to mind).

It's so very rare that all those pieces fall into place at the same time and
for this show it was a surprisingly common occurrence.

Jim Davis