On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Dana wrote:
> mm. Don't really know a thing about the woman, but "farming them out"
> might actually be in their best interest, ever consider that? Maybe
> they are better off with her income but without the dad playing a role
> for which he turns out not to be well suited. Maybe her mom loves them
> to death and is a great parent.

"Farmed out" child rearing seems to me to be part of a large-scale
problem the USA faces, in my opinion.

If you could swing being with your kids, shouldn't you?

Hell, I'm aiming for some telecommute-type crap pretty soon, just
because I LOVE being with my family, and I'm in the rare situation of
probably being able to swing that, you know?  Not everybody can do
crap like that.  I do pretty good as it is.

It's sorta sad when feminism starts advocating career over family--
I'm a masculine-ist who advocates family over career, for instance.
Not quite culturally normal, for the USA.

And this is another area where the rich/poor factor plays a HUGE role.
If you've got the $$$, you can get some quality rearing (although I
still think it's a cop-out to have someone else raise your kids,
anyone seen "Morgan Stewart's Coming Home"?), but I get the whole
"whatever works" and "best interests" whatnot.

Still, I wish there were more emphasis on family and whathaveyou.
Sorta take a page from the book of Spain, and value family, and
siestas.  I would.

--
The great philosophers and the great works are standards for the
selection of what is essential. Everything that we do in studying the