>I have no idea who to believe any longer. The polls are all over the place -
>+1 to +14 for Obama. I don't trust the average of polls, either.

Remember how the election system works, most states use a winner take all
approach to the electoral college, so at this point you need to look at the
state by state polls.

That said it looks like McCain has lost another Republican stronghold.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96008609

Election 2008
Poll: McCain Lost Key Rural Support In Early October

by Howard Berkes

NPR.org, October 23, 2008 · Republican John McCain was doing so poorly among a
key voter group during the first three weeks of October, it seemed unlikely he
could capture the presidency.

That's what a newly released survey indicates.

The poll of 841 likely voters in rural counties in battleground states was
conducted during a three-week period from October 1-21. Rural voters were
instrumental in the election and re-election of President Bush, and big
Republican margins in rural areas are considered critical to a John McCain
victory next month.

The survey had Democrat Barack Obama slightly ahead, 46 to 45 percent, among
the rural voters polled. That's a statistical dead heat during the survey
period.

"That is really bad news for John McCain. If the rural vote is essentially
split in these swing states, then John McCain is certain to lose," says Seth
McKee, a political scientist at the University of South Florida in St.
Petersburg. McKee specializes in rural voting patterns.

"In 2004, George Bush won the rural parts of the battleground [states] by 15
points," notes Anna Greenberg, the Democratic pollster who conducted the
bipartisan survey. "It was his base, and he got a massive amount of voters to
turn out in those battleground states. It drove his victory."

But in 2008, Greenberg says, "John McCain is struggling just to win the rural
vote in the battleground. That was supposed to be his base. If he can't win the
rural battleground with substantial margins … it seems very unlikely that he
can win this election."

Republican media consultant Bill Greener was part of the bipartisan polling
team, but he has a different analysis of the survey results. He sees the
three-week period of the survey as distinct from the two weeks remaining in the
campaign.

"What the survey indicates is that there was defection among rural voters
largely on economic issues," Greener says. "And if that [continues] to be the
case, then Sen. McCain would face a tremendous challenge to prevail on Election
Day. That's what the three-week data shows you."

But more recent and shorter surveys generally show a tighter race, Greener
says, and that means McCain likely is doing better among rural voters than the
rural poll indicates.

A new Associated Press-GfK survey, for example, shows how complicated this mix
of polling data can get. The AP-GfK survey spanned five days (October 16-20)
and included likely rural voters. They favored McCain by 18 points. But those
voters were from all states, not just battleground states, where the race is
tighter by definition. They identified themselves as urban, suburban or rural,
instead of being classified by pollsters based on their actual location and
accepted definitions of rural. Some "rural" respondents were possibly suburban
or exurban. And fewer than 270 likely rural voters were included in the
five-day survey — a relatively small sample size that greatly increases the
margin of error.

The three-week rural survey found that 49 percent of respondents favored Obama
on the issue of the economy, compared with 40 percent for McCain. Obama was
trusted by slightly more people on the issue of taxes and on the nation's
financial crisis.

McCain "is a loser on the most important issue," McKee says. Obama "has a 9
percentage-point lead on the economy. So he's got a comfortable lead on the
issue that's going to drive this election more than any other."

Greener is not giving up on McCain's chances among rural voters. "I absolutely
believe he has a chance to win," Greener says emphatically. "Sen. McCain has to
continue to grow his support among rural voters and hold that support."

The survey indicated that the Arizona senator's strength lies in his approach
to the war in Iraq. More than half of the respondents said McCain would do a
better job with the situation in Iraq.

Respondents offered mixed messages about Obama's ability to be president.
Fifty-three percent agreed with the statement that Obama "has what it takes to
be president." But about half also agreed with the statement that there are
"just too many questions to take a chance on him as president," and that the
Illinois senator "lacks experience necessary to be president."

The survey did not ask about moral values, gun control, abortion or gay rights,
which were key issues for many rural voters in the past two presidential
elections.

There was one question about McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin. The Alaska
governor has bolstered McCain's support among conservative rural voters. In a
rural battleground survey last month, 48 percent of the respondents responded
favorably to Palin. But this month, only 40 percent gave her a favorable
response.

McKee speculates that the nation's economic crisis, the war in Iraq and
disappointment with the Bush presidency may be taking a long-term toll on the
rural Republican base, especially beyond Southern states.

"I think it's very possible that these rural folks who live above the
Mason-Dixon Line could be ripe to move … away from the Republican Party,"
McKee says.