I think the concept of "civil unions" was presented wrongly. The civil
union should be the contract between two people, regardless of
orientation, who agree to co-habitate, combine incomes and expenses, and
have power of attorney in the case of emergency etc.

This really is the only thing that the federal, or state government
should recognize, "Marriage" is simply a ceremony with no legal standing.