> Cam wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Robert Munn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> GM, Ford, and Chrysler are all on life support right now. Should we save
>> them or let them go through bankruptcy?
>
> Bankruptcy - just like the airlines.

As a guy who went though bankruptcy in the airline industry (and
survived 14 rounds of layoffs - w00t!) I can firmly rule: bankruptcy.

Both the airline industry and the auto industry are essentially
european-style (or japanese) government companies anyway.  For
example, the reason the auto industry is so bad off is because making
SUVs was easy for them so they lobbied Congress to essentially
continue to have it easy and make it easy for consumers to buy them
(sound familiar?)

That needs to go.

Boeing, once the government made it clear they'd have some
competition, started behaving like a independent company.  That's
meant a move of headquarters to Chicago and the 787; both great ideas
so far.

It won't be easy, but the alternative is worse.

and no bridge loans.  You don't lend someone money to continue to do
what ain't working.  You're just an enabler then.