It depends.

There are so many AK variants on the market it isn't even funny.  If you get
a good cast receiver, eastern block, or can afford one of the really nice
Finnish knock offs, you can get very accurate ones.  Out to 3-400 meters,
with optics.  You're going to pay for it, still cheaper than an AR, but more
than say a Chinese knock off made out of folded tin.  If you like the design
and want something like it that is going to be more accurate I'd recommend
either the Israeli galil or the Korean rifles whose name eludes me.  They
can both be chambered in 5.56 or 7.62 nato, which is still reasonable to
shoot.

I like Aks, I've owned several, small under folder with a front pistol grip,
was fun, but wouldn't be good out too far.  Long barreled nhm-91 Chinese rpk
clone, 100 drum and bipods, I'd use it in a crew served role so pin point
accuracy wasn't required of it.  Good too 800 or so meters with plunging
fires.

I've seen mudj that were carrying old nice soviet model AKs that had no wood
furniture on them anymore, not even a pistol  grip, and they'd still run
good, and at the ranges they are dealing with and they way they fight it
does the job.

Hell they make receivers over open flames with hammers.  Not super accurate,
but it'll kill stuff.

I like to stick with common rounds.  5.56, 7.62 x 39 or nato.  The newer
piston based Ars are nice, but pricey.  Anything from HK (MP, UMP, G-36,
whatever) is going to be accurate and sexy and fun, but is going to require
maintenance and parts that aren't readily available.  I'm worried about
barrel life on many of the import g-3, 93, ctme (sp?), fn fal rebuilds.  I
hear there are some decent American made Aks running around, and not too
pricey on good eastern European parts kits.  That can be very hit or miss
though and I have heard one gun store complain vocally that they got a bad
batch of 10 or so.  I can't remember the company specifically they are out
west, Arizona or new Mexico.  I've heard they fixed the quality control
problem now.