Small framed revolver, or one of the million and a half small frame
automatics.

Stick with a common, but decent self defense round, .45 or .40.  I would
check out the Taurus site, look for guns that interest you, than see what is
available to try locally.  Most dealers in the US have some method of test
firing a gun to see how it feels and shoots.

Think about your lifestyle and your wardrobe.  Do you often wear a coat?  I
mean it's sub tropical there right?  You don't want to carry something that
is going to print (show through).  I like a compact .45 in an under
waistband holster in the middle of my back.  It's comfortable, not the
fastest or best draw position, but right there.  Comfortable to carry. Can
be covered with a button up or a t-shirt.

There are some small pocket or wallet guns out there too, but I haven't
owned one.  If I can't hit 10 for 10 at 20 meters I'm not carrying it.