That would be rather stupid all around.

I want the Chinese to not fully opt into Kyoto (and follow up
accords). Yes, it will suck for air pollution in SE Asia and possibly
effect the West coast of the US and other areas in the short run. But
man, we would so luck out if China tied itself to a rapidly dwindling
non-renewable resource like oil. If we can drastically alter the
energy economy in our country and migrate it to using substantially
renewable resources then we've gained an immensely important strategic
advantage.

The world has already been waging wars over oil. Its not going to get
better when there is less of it. There are some resources that will
probably be a point of conflict no matter what, like water. But if we
can shift away from security arrangements based on fossil fuels then
we have an amazing bit of leverage. We'll be sitting on top of some
not insignificant reserves of a commodity that our competitors (like
China and India) want while not actually needing it ourself.

That's a sweet position to be in and one of the best reasons to
establish an Apollo-like program to change the energy economy in the
US.

Judah