On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:24 AM, Scott Stroz wrote:
> I think you missed my point.
>
> It was stated:
>
> 'If we take measures to do something about GW, but then discover
> it wasn't real, how much will we regret that?'
>
> I was merely pointing out that I have heard others use the same logic when
> discussing God. 'If you spend your whole life devoted to God and in the end,
> there is not one, would you regret it?'

Instead of being so black and white about it, what if we stated the
idea more like so:

'If you spent your whole life pondering the possibility of God, would
you regret it?'

> IMHO, me going 'green' will have about as much impact on the Earth as my
> religious beliefs.....not much at all. I am not convinced that humans are
> the driving force in the climate changes.

Putting some real thought into our impact on our surroundings is
nothing but a good thing, in my opinion, much as pondering God.

'Green' is more about our impact on ourselves -- things like silt in
rivers, land loss, bird migrations, insect numbers... is there
something wrong with turning off the lights when you're not in the
room?  Encouraging recycling?  Reducing pollution in general? (light
pollution is one that bugs me)  -- I don't see 'green' as being
limited to climate change.

Come on folks, this is all common sense.  There is no "what if we
change our surroundings" question:  that is one of our super-powers
(we can withstand what, +-40 degrees, 100+ pounds of pressure or
something, in general?  Yet we've been to space, pretty deep in the
depths of the oceans, changed grasslands to deserts, grown islands,
created land-loss, live on the poles of the earth, etc..).

Humans could have no impact on, say, the amount of fish in the ocean, right?  ;]

You don't have to say we're *the* driving force, you know.  Not so
black and white.  Are we *a* contributing force?  No doubt.  And I
lean towards a pretty powerful force, personally.  But maybe I'm
seeing data patterns that others don't, or whatever.

Eh.  Others (namely Jim) have said most of this better, but I liked
the whole "God" question analogy bit.  =]

--
One must always maintain one's connection to the past and yet
ceaselessly pull away from it.