BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7925455.stm

>From the spotify blog  (http://www.spotify.com/blog/):

For the technically minded amongst you, the information that may have been
exposed when our protocols were compromised is the password hashes. As stated,
we never store passwords, and they have never been sent over the Internet
unencrypted, but the combination of the bug and the group’s
reverse-engineering of our encrypted streaming protocol may have given
outsiders access to individual hashes.

The hashes are salted, making attacks using rainbow tables unfeasible. Short or
otherwise bad passwords could still be vulnerable to offline targeted
brute-force or dictionary attacks on individual users, but you could not run
attacks in parallel. Also, there has been no known breach of our internal
systems. A complete user database has not been leaked, but until December 19th,
2008 it was possible to access the password hashes of individual users had you
reverse-engineered the Spotify protocol and knew the username.

We are really sorry about this and hope you accept our apologies. We’re
doubling our efforts to keep the systems secure in order to prevent anything
like this from happening again.