No I did not and that was their issue. They had no way to take cash or to
bill me. In fairness, that's a pretty small little city and I  don't think
they had ever heard of a US resident with no health insurance. But still,
contrast this with the experience in Quebec.

The Xray was fine. Final diagnosis -- hematoma. Huge but just a hematoma.
Nonetheless, after 2 weeks of difficulty walking I think I can be excused
for pointing out that I had the symptoms of a fracture, hello.

The MRI thing is something Sam keeps bringing up, ask him. I remember it as
anecdotal rumor (also heard in Sault Ste Marie) but no specifics. This would
have been the summer of 2001.

The rationing exists though; had I signed up for an OHIP card that summer (I
was unwilling because the implications for my US green card were unclear) I
would have gone on a waiting list to be assigned to a general practitioner.
Six to ten months. My mother, who lives in Ottawa, has been waiting a couple
of years for a GP. She waited several years for knee surgery. Relatives were
told that they didn't care what new-fangled genetic tests there were in the
states; that OHIP simply did not do genetic testing. On a similar note, my
dad (in Great Britain) apparently had a doctot who thought that sleep apnea
was some trendy American thing.

So let us not talk falsely now; the hour is getting late. Neither the
British system nor the Canadian system is perfect. The situation in Ontario
as I understand it is that there is world-class care in Toronto and the
metropolitan area. Once you get away from there you do run into sporadic
shortages of equipment that should have been bought when they had that
neo-con in power up there, but was not because Government Is Bad.

And yet. As I point out, people don't seem to die of neglect there, and that
is an improvement over what happened to Cathi.