On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Gruss Gott<grussg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why would a public option contain costs?  Insurance is the finance
> mechanism NOT the supply mechanism.

Go read the CBO report. Their savings estimates are detailed out. The
government has run a reasonably successful health insurance program
for quite some time. It has things that could certainly go better. And
the regulatory reforms in the House bill(s) extend beyond the simple
provision of a public option. As I mentioned, there is a lot more to
be done. But yes, the US Government has a track record of success in
this area, though not much has been done in the last couple decades.
Maybe the age of government being able to get things done is dead,
maybe it died with Johnson. I don't know. But given the market
failures in this area, I'm opting to be hopeful and try to get things
done. If you want to play Cassandra and say everything is going to
hell in a hand basket regardless, fine, then shut the fuck up and get
out of the way while people that want to make a difference try to do
so.

Juda