From: Matthew Smith [mailto:chedders...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:58 AM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: my new computer, i think ive found it

That's a good point.

I can build a pc from the ground up in about an hour or two, but I've done
it many times.  If you give it a Saturday, you should be fine, assuming
everything goes well.  If it does not go well, it can take time to
troubleshoot, wait for the replacement part to arrive, etc.  It can get
really, really, bad, though I've never had it happen to me.  Having an
additional computer online for access to forums and downloads is a my.

My worst experience was plugging in my new rig, filling the switch and...
Nothing.  Checked everything.  Rechecked everything.  Then I remembered my
Dad tripped the breaker a week before messing with the wiring and I never
reset it.  Flipped it and she booted right up, flawlessly.  What a releif.

Dell is a good company, I send clients there that I can't support directly.
 My parents bought a dell and love it.

If you are on the fence, spec out a dell, then get the parts into your
shopping basket on newegg.  Do a price comparison.  Is the hundreds of
dollars you save worth it, or is the extra expense worth it for something
that arrives at your door ready to go and has tech support attached.

I like spending time on tom's hardware reading the build suggestions even
when I'm not putting something together, and I want to hand select my
components because I want the absolute best.  I have a friend that spends
his Saturdays tinkering on his car and does all the repairs himself.  Same
thing.

Maybe that's you, maybe not.  You just need to decide who you are.