Crossfire and sli are technologies that allow you to string along, currently
and depending on your mobo, up to 4 graphics cards.  Xfire is ATI and SLI is
nVidia.  This all uses the newer PCI-E slots.  What this does is it pools
the collective power of all the cards (though it does disable the outputs,
so you will not be able to use the dvi ports on the additional cards.)  I
remember when this first came out, I was doing tech support for BFG cards
(they are one of the best nVidia card manufacturers...stay away from EVGA
and the others...BFG is the best).  The engineer from nVidia demo'd a
benchmark program on a single card machine and one that had 2 cards.  The
systems were otherwise identical.  The performance, however...graphically
speaking, was incredible.

Hardware wise, putting together a system yourself is not as daunting as it
may seem...it's pretty much just plugging in the expansion cards (like video
cards, sound cards, etc) into a slot, putting the cpu into a keyed socket
(so it is impossible to put it in wrong) and putting memory (which is also
keyed so you can't put it in wrong)  You don’t even have to mess with
jumpers anymore on most of the mobo's out there....that was really the
complicated part of building your own system in the past.  Most mobo's are
self configuring these days.  Then all that is left is connecting the cables
for your drives and the power and you are done.  Even the headers for the
case (the cables that handle the power button, reset button, hard drive
lights, etc...) generally have a marked piece that you plug in all the
cables then plug the keyed piece into the mobo.  Very simple.  I purchased
my first new system 15 years ago...an AST 486.  I outgrew that rapidly.
That was the last one that I purchased...after that, I built them myself.