This discussion has been interesting,

I am very much on the Fence about home schooling, I can see the good points and
the bad. I am not talking completely out of my ass here as My Wife was
Homeschooled from K-12, she never stepped foot in a classroom until she was 23.
I am not going to quote studies nor am I going to say Homeschooling sucks. I do
however want to share my experience of some issues that had to be worked
through so the people on the list can be aware and deal with some of the issues
we have had.

My Wife was homeschooled not for religious reasons, but for control reasons due
to her Father not wanting to loose control of any aspect of his family. This
fact has soured the relationship with both of his kids as well as his kids
partners when they broke is control. This is not a slight against home
schooling, just please to make everyone's life better, when your kids start to
date, try to be accepting of different ideas and backgrounds.

My Wifes Mother was a teacher, but left her work to help her husband in his
business and to school the children full time, so the needed to be schooled by
a certified teacher argument on this case is moot. However, I do believe that
having someone that can see no wrong in their offspring does not always make
the best educational choices. The cost of this has been very poor spelling and
grammar skills as those subjects were found very difficult. Also not learning
to read until 9 years old I think was a serious mistake which has resulted in 2
years extra college to bring skills up to the level. Please Please start your
kids reading as early as possible, spelling and grammar count so much in this
world and this is something not focused on enough in my Wife's experience. This
is not unique to home schooling but, in this case with out any testing or solid
curriculum it has cost my wife several years and several thousand dollars of
upgrading.

Make sure your kids know how to make friends, also make sure they know how to
deal with people that do not like them. There is a difference of
"socialization" and having to work with people you may not like to accomplish a
goal. Having the kids involved in scouts, 4-H and more is unfortunately not
enough in my experience, I am not sure how to solve it. Not trusting people is
a serious issue that was instilled and has worked against both my Wife and her
Brother.

Encourage your children to go to college asap. My Wife's Parents did not
encourage her to go, going as far as telling me that College was not right for
her. She has managed to complete an Electrical Engineering Degree on the honor
roll, unfortunately she was 27 when she completed this rather than 22 or 23.
Her not attending college was breaking her fathers control and opened her mind
up to new ideas that were not presented to her.

Live somewhere where your kids can get into town or see other people on their
own power, this will let them meet people you may not approve of but can
provide experiences that living on an isolated farm 10 miles out of a small
village can not.

A good thing of Home Schooling is that my wife and her brother are very close
and are great friends, they didn't have anyone else for a good chunk of their
lives. I came into the picture when her brother was 15, he now lives on the
west coast in the large city closest to us. He is currently a Photography
student at a great school and will Grad when he is 23. His Father does not
approve and blames me for moving both of his children 3000 miles away, he is a
very angry man. Please don't be him.

Like both good schools and bad schools, there are good homeschooling parents
and bad homeschooling parents. I think my wife had Ok homeschooling parents who
were involved with many homeschooling organizations in their state.
Unfortunately in any of the homeschooling events and conferences I attended
with my wife (I attended 3, including her brother's graduation ceremony) the
majority in the community were doing it for religious reasons. Her parents
ended up leaving the local homeschooling group after it began requiring a
statement of faith. I do think this was the right choice but it caused a big
split with the parents of most of my wifes friends, therefore she lost the few
friends she had due to parental stupidity.

Due to the difficulty in finding good high school curriculum My wife spent most
of her High School years UnSchooling. I don't think this served her well as it
didn't provide testing, transcripts or the sense of completion when she was
finished. Please don't make the first test that your kids take be the drivers
exam when they are sixteen.

I am still deeply divided on if we will home school or send our kids to school,
but I just wanted to give a bit of my experience in dealing with it. When you
home school your kids please keep in mind you will be responsible for both the
good and the bad, and if the bad outweighs the good, you may loose your kids as
adults.

This is not home schooling's fault but the fault of a very angry controlling
man who did not trust anyone else to help school his kids.