Out of curiosity, where do people think that whistle blower actions
fit into the debate?

I, personally, think that investigatory agencies (cops and whatnot)
definitely have to follow the letter of the law, acquire warrants, etc
in order to produce any useable evidence because those agencies wield
immense power and need substantial checks and balances on their use of
that power.

But then we get to those areas that are a bit more grey. What
employees who take confidential information from their workplace
because of suspected wrong doing? And farther down that slippery
slope, what about, for instance, employees of John Edwards who sent
damning evidence of his extra-marital activities to the National
Enquirer?

I would personally feel a moral obligation to publish evidence of the
wrong doing of a company I worked for, as in the case of scientists
who came forward to show the faked reports from tobacco companies. It
is certainly illegal to abscond with documents like that but what
about the greater good? One of the things I really dislike about the
Obama administration is their current zealous prosecution of federal
whistleblowers when the whistleblowing involves anything the admin has
deemed "national security". I understand their need to protect
national security, but all too often national security is just a
blatant attempt to hide things which would embarrass the government.

I'm not sure what all the boundaries should be. But I do feel strongly
that taking sensitive information and distributing it isn't always
wrong.

Judah