mmm  offhand I think that if you are an employee you have an
obligation to promote the interest of your employer or qut if you
cannot. So I don't regard the Edwards employer as a whistleblower. I
think that what he did to his wife was reprehensible but ... well, it
rather depends on what statements he made about "family values" so
just perhaps it might be legitimate news. The morality of it from the
pont of view of the person who leaked is less clear.

A scientist working for a tobacco company might decide that the
interest of the public outweighed his employers' but they took the job
in the first place, what do they  expect?

Stilll.... I worked for a law firm that represented RJ Reynolds once
and since the lawsuit is a done deal I guess the NDA no longer
applies. I smoked when I took the job and was horrified by some of the
substances that showed up in lab notes. Dozens of poisons and even
some radioactive materials. It did help me to quit, though it took me
a couple of years.

I really think that it depends on the situation.

Dana