On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Kris Sisk <ks...@gckschools.com> wrote:

> Wearing the flag is technically a violation of the American Flag Code.
> Lapel pins are, I believe, an exception to that (don't quote me, it's been a
> while since I looked it up). There are other ways you can wear an image of
> the flag without violating the flag code It's a very fine line and I'm not
> quite sure how it's drawn.
>
> What I do know is that the flag code isn't law. Some think it should be,
> but we'd have a whole lot of people in jail if it were. Basically no one
> bothers to learn the flag code. I think the underlying idea is that the flag
> should always be treated with respect.
>
> Some other interesting violations of the flag code: Kid Rock accidently
> violated it when he wore a flag as a poncho in a show of patriotism. Even
> though he was very careful not to let the flag touch the ground (thus
> showing he new part of the code at least) he had cut a hole in the middle of
> it so he could wear it. The post office has repeatedly violated the flag
> code by issuing stamps with flags on them. Stamps are meant to be used once
> and thrown away, a clear violation of the non-disposable items clause.
> Thousands of people violate it every year on July 4 when they buy those
> napkins with flags on them. And I'd like a dollar f

I learned all the same things you did. To this day, I've never owned
anything with a US flag on it, and I always fly one, proudly, on a pole in
my front yard. It is properly lighted beginning at dusk. I do my best to
keep it from touching the ground when removing it. It's always properly
folded. Old flags are burned. (Even though I don't think the modern flag
code requires this, it's what I was taught to do with them)

All that being said, i don't really begrudge other people who wear the flag,
or drape themselves in the flag, if it's in an honest attempt to display
patriotism. The idea is much more important than the actual act, in my
opinion.

--
The suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dream of youth