I could see us declaring war on Al Queda but the "war" we are
supposedly fighting is with the nebulous thing known as "terrorism".
There is Al Queda. But in Afghanistan, we are fighting (often) against
the Taliban. In Iraq, it may be both Sunni and Shiite groups under
various names with Al Queda in Iraq thrown in for good measure. In
Indonesia, we are supporting efforts against Jemaah Islamiyah. In
Yemen, we have used predator drones against the Jannubi. Some groups
have soem ties to Al Queda, some seem to be doing their own thing. The
alliances seem to come and go and we don't necessarily know what is
going on with the various groups.

The Barbary Pirates at least had a fairly well defined region of
operation and a structure that helped divvy up that area. Modern
terrorism, even if we just restrict ourselves to radical muslim based
groups, is more amorphous. I think you'd have a much harder time
figuring out a way to usefully define what you are declaring war on,
which is one of the big problems we have.

If you're curious, GlobalSecurity.org has a nice run down on currently
known active terrorist organizations, their region of operation and
their affiliations:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/profiles/terrorism_organization_home.htm

Judah